8 chicken drumsticks 1 cinnamon stick-finely ground
1 inch fresh ginger,6garlic cloves, 1 tsp turmeric 2 tsp cumin seeds and 2 tsp coriander seeds 2 tbs lime/lemon juice
finely ground 2 tbsp chopped coriander
4 tspp vegetable oil salt and chilli powder to taste
1 pod of green cardamom ½ pod of black 2 tbsp tomato puree
cardamom,2 cloves, ½ tsp fennel seeds,2 tsp 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- preheat oven to 180 c or turn on grill (depending on what you are using).
- combine all the dry and wet ingredients above to create a thick paste.
- spread over the chicken.
- cover and place in fridge for at least two hours (overnight if possible)
- place in oven or under grill and cook for 15 minutes on each side until golden brown and chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- serve with tomato or coriander chutney.
By Praveen Bhatta
This is a very popular dish in the pubs (or Bhatti ) in Nepal.
Be aware though, the ingredients are raw and very strong so if you are planning on kissing anyone,don’t eat it ..you won’t be popular
300g soybeans 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp vegetable oil 1 tsp finely chopped chilli
1 tsp olive oil (if you like it hot)
2 medium red onions-finely chopped 2 finely chopped spring onions
1 large tomato-finely chopped ½ lemon –squeezed
1 tsp finely chopped ginger 2 tsp cumin seeds
500 mls cold water salt to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry soybeans until they start popping.
- transfer into a bowl and add 500 mls water
- Leave to soak for 5 minutes and drain.
- In the meantime dry roast cumin seed in frying pan until they darken in colour.
- Crush in pestle and mortar or in an electric grinder.
- Mix chopped onions,,tomato,ginger,garlic, chilli ,cumin power,spring onion and salt with the soybean.
- Add olive oil and squeeze lemon juice.
- Mix thoroughly and serve.