Depending on the time of year, you may want to vary the amount of chilli used (more for cold winter nights) There are many methods of cooking lentil soup, but this is Ravi’s way………..
1 litre boiling water ½ tbsp coriander seeds
100g pink lentils(masoor daal) ½ tbsp black pepper
30g green gram split (mung)daal 2 garlic cloves-finely chopped
1 medium tomatoes-finally chopped 2 tbsp ghee
2 medium tomatoes-finally chopped (or butter or vegetable oil)
½ inch fresh ginger ½ tsp turmeric powder
3 garlic cloves salt and chilli to taste
½ tsp cumin seeds 4 tbsp fresh coriander-finely chopped
- Finely grind the ginger,garlic cloves,cumin seeds,coriander seeds,black pepper in a grinder or use your mortar and pestle to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan,add chopped onions and try until golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder,salt,chilli,tomatoes and ginger/garlic paste prepared earlier.
- stir until a thick gravy-like consistency is produced.
- add the lentils and water and stir well.
- place the lid on and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are cooked
- sprinkle chopped coriander and serve
Typical mortar and pestle used in Nepal