My parents are form Gorkha, the central region of Nepal,but I spent my choidhood in the south-western region,which is hot year-round my mum learnt this recipe thare and we have had chukauni at many celebrations and festivals.
Because of its citrus taste,it can be served as a side for any meal. I like it best with a spacy curry or with deep fried dishes.
400g potatoes 1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion cut into 2 cm long thin slice ½ tsp turmeric powder
200ml plain yogurt 1 tsp fine chopped basil or mint/coriander)
Salt to taste
2 tsp lemon juice
- tsp vegetable oil
- Boil the potatoes peel and cut half of the potatoes into small pieses and mash the other half.
- Add the onion and mix well.Heat the vegetable oil in a small frying pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds turn dark brown add the turmeric powder.
- Remove from the heat and mix into the potato/onion mixtore.
- Add the yogurt,salt and lemon and mix well.Sprinkle basil(or coriander or mint) and serve.