6 baby aubergines 1 tsp of turmeric powder
6 small potatoes chilli powder to taste
1 tsp of mustard seed 4 tsp of ground coriander
Stuffing 2 tsp of ground cumin
1 large onion, finely diced Sugar to taste
2 tomatoes, finely chopped ¼ of a cup of coarsely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely, finely chopped coriander
Salt to taste
1 tbsp of oil
- Make a cross by slitting the aubergines lengthwise leaving the bottom quarter section intact.
- Peel and cut the potatoes the same way. Soak both the aubergines and potatoes in water to prevent discolouring.
- Mix all stuffing ingredients together in a bowl. Stiff the aubergines and potatoes with stuffing (into the cavity created by the cross).
- Add oil to a non-stick frying pan and once hot, add the mustard seeds and gently place the stuffed potatoes and aubergines to the pan.
- Turn the heat to medium, cover pan leave to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, checking regularly to ensure the mixture is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- After 10 minutes gently turn the potatoes and aubergines, replace the lid and let cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked and the aubergines are soft.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped coriander and serve with any Indian bread.