Bamboo is very common in Nepal and bamboo shoots are the young sprouts of the bamboo plant.Bamboo shoots appear mainly during the monsoon seasons of july and August.I remember my mother telling me how she used to wake up early in the morning to pick the shoots with her mother when she was 7. In those days people in the villages used wild plants in their diet as they were healthy, organic and free.But you had to be careful.Not all wild bamboo is edible.
when the shoots are in abundance people preserved them by making bamboo shoot pickles which could be used in later months But when she grew up and moved closer to town bamboo shoots were not available .
There days canned bamboo shoots are available in supermarkets whenever we cook bamboo shoot curry at home my mother feels nostalgic about her walka bamboo buds early in the morning
500g can of bamboo-shoots in water 1 tsp cumin powder
500g can of black eyed beans 1 tsp cumin seeds
100g potato-boiled and cut into small pieces 1 green chilli (optional)
1 large onion –finely chopped 2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp tomato purees 2 tsp lime/lemon juice
4 tsp garlic-ginger paste 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
½ tsp turmeric power salt and chilli powder to taste
- Drain the bamboo shoots.
- Heat the oil and add cumin seeds
- once brown add onions and stir until golden brown
- add the bamboo shoots and stir for 5 minutes over a medium heat
- add turmeric,masala paste ,drained black eyed peas,potatos,chilli and salt and stir thoroughly.
- squeeze lemon juice and 300 ml of warm water and simmer for 5 minutes
- sprinkle chopped coriander and serve.